Monday, December 3, 2007

Waco kayakers are drunk


Interesting story that deserved its own post - On our recent trip to Waco to visit Herm and Scotty S, we took a hike in Cameron Park (which is supposedly one of the best mountain biking courses in Texas). The park runs along the Brazos river, and makes use of the bluff leading down to the river with lots of steep trails and creek beds. Upon making it up the cliff that sets against the Brazon river, we looked down to see a kayaker in the water, overturned and clinging to his vessel. And I quote the following:

Kayaker - "Anyone out there? Hello? Hello?"
Me from 100 feet above on the cliff - "You need help?"
Kayaker - "Yes, help me"
Herm - "Just paddle to the shore, its like 30 feet!"
Kayaker - "Help, help, I ...I spilled my whiskey"

I dialed 911, and we then began a debate on whether he deserved a 911 call or saving due to his inebriated state, as we continued to wait on hold. I finally get through to the fire department, who says they're on their way.

Part 2 (yes there are multiple parts)
The Kayaker proceeds to float down the Brazos past a Waco City function held across the river from our position. As the Mayor is being introduced, our kayaker keeps calling for help until a crowd of onlookers begins to gather. Finally, three brave souls decide to go in the water fully clothed and help our new kayaker friend. BUT as they near the kayaker, he waves them off, suddenly realizing that being plucked from the water will surely mean an arrest. Well, the sirens can now be heard from a distance and our kayaker begins to fade into the distance, a tiny spec on the river as it bent toward Waco. That's when I took this picture....see if you can spot him...

3 comments:

Kyle Mattingly Mountain Guide said...

story of my life...

Craig Eidson said...

so what happen to the whiskey?

The Pereira Family said...

HaHaHa! That was funny...and Hey! That's me in that picture! Glad we found out you have a blog.