Monday, December 3, 2007

Sometimes technology is too much...


Time for a good old fashion rant - I tried to log-in to my credit union today using their web-system for the first time in a couple months, but I needed my "member ID" in order to log-in. It's not my email address, or a userID that I created, or my account number, but some random number generated for me so I can access my account. So I call their support line and after about 10mins on hold I get a nice person from Boston MA on the phone and I explain my problem - can't remember my member ID number, can you help. The answer - not over the phone. How about over email - nope again. Not secure she says - can't give out ID numbers using the phone or email. So, what does she suggest? I have to fax her my account number, social security number, and signature on a sheet of paper to a long-distance number. ..

(pause for effect)

Really?!? You have a fancy web system that is supposed to reduce interaction times and overhead, but the only way to get a reminder on your log-in info is by a fax with enough personal data to gorge even the fattest of scammers? Unreal...I almost asked if she was a prince from a foreign land who needed my help securing his family's untold fortune. Still waiting for my return on that investment....

1 comment:

kevin said...

what the f does that mean...