Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Meet The Duke


I asked my brother-in-laws for some John Wayne DVDs for Christmas, and they came through with flying colors. My interest in John Wayne films was sparked by a retrospective on PBS's American Masters series - "John Ford and John Wayne" which highlighted how these early western films really set the bar for great directing and acting, especially when Ford and Wayne worked together.

So, in honor of my quest to watch every John Wayne western, I'll be updating this entry with the movies as I watch them and provide my comments. Here's the current list:

Hatari! (Watching Now)
El Dorado
North to Alaska
The Quiet Man
The Alamo
Rio Lobo
True Grit
Big Jake
Rio Bravo

3 comments:

Julie said...

There's a great reference to that John Wayne picture you have there in the movie Kill Bill (the second one i think)

http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/images/Search.jpg

Anonymous said...

You have to watch Lonesome Dove. I know it is missing The Duke but its a must when talking about westerns. By the way has anyone seen 3:10 to Yuma?

tchmanz28 said...

Great call on Tarantino paying homage to John Ford - I think The Searchers is the pinnacle of the Wayne/Ford work.

Yep, I've got Lonesome Dove on DVD - only problem is that it was made for TV, so it is Full Screen. All the John Wayne movies are in CinemaScope, which is super-wide but really does justice to all the scenery. We'll see how the new CBS "Comanche Moon" adaptation ends up...that's also Larry McMurtry.

Saw 3:10 to Yuma - good movie, but the ending chase was high on the improbable scale.