Tuesday, January 15, 2008

iPod + Car



I broke down the different ways for getting the iPod to play in your car for my friend Ty.

I didn't mention a full custom job - check this out...

Here are the options for your enjoyment...

1) Cassette adapter
2) FM Modulator - tune your radio to a FM station and pick up the
iPod, but pretty spotty here in h-town. Really easy to install, plug
and play, bad audio...
3) Factory radio + wired iPod adapter - most difficult - you have to
wire in an auxiliary input to your factory radio, then run an RCA or
mini-jack cable from your iPod to the input - great sound, tough
install.
4) Aftermarket radio ($200) with built-in auxiliary input - buy a
radio with an aux input on the front from Crutchfield, install it (1
hour) and run a mini-jack cable from the headphone jack to the radio -
this would your best bet
5) Aftermarket radio + iPod dock connector ($250+) - this is what I
have, the radio connects to the iPod via the dock connection, and you
control the iPod from your stereo. Great audio, but difficult to
control the iPod with a car radio - too complicated....

3 comments:

kevin said...

I have #5 as well. Good point on the difficulty of control through the car radio, I have to set up playlists with what I want to listen to for the week/day/millenium. I'm not sure on the sound difference between option #4 and option #5, but I do know #5 sounds bery goud.

Ty Camp said...

The not-so-technologically-advanced appreciate the info. When I finally break down and buy this aftermarket head unit, will you help me install it?

tchmanz28 said...

You bet - installation is smooth sailing with Crutchfield - they send you the adapters and everything, you just need to do some soldering....

I forgot to mention "BlueTooth" adapters. If your car came with stereo BlueTooth or if you buy a radio with support for stereo BlueTooth, you can add a BlueTooth adapter to your iPod and connect to your radio without any wires...