Thursday, December 20, 2007

Scared to join the Mac crowd...


I am definitely scared to take the full plunge into the Apple world - my desktop is still a PC, and here's why:

I treat my computers like cars - when something breaks, I crack it open and replace the part. With a PC, parts are incredibly cheap and adhere to standard size specifications, so buying is easy. Changing parts on an iMac or Mac Mini is like repairing a Ferrari - expensive parts that are custom fit, and not shared across the product spectrum (I am leaving the PowerMac/MacPro out of this, since they are $2k desktops meant for graphic/video/music professionals). This all goes back to the original "IBM compatible" standardization of the PC, and is one reason why Apple (although gaining some of the PC market currently) will struggle to overcome the PC stranglehold on computers.

In the end, the more Macs that are sold, the more support for parts, and the cheaper the part prices. I'm slowly warming up...

1 comment:

Craig Eidson said...

Some say MACs never break...but ask my roomate who works at the Apple store. Someone came in and stuck a Mini-cd in the cd drive of a Macbook thinking it would play in the normal size cd player. The only way to get the thing out is to open the notebook housing. Way to go Steve.