Sunday, December 23, 2007

Hemi Exhaust, Air Filters, and MPG


Well, I was skeptical of the claims of "better fuel efficiency" that were advertised by both K&N (air filters) and Flowmaster (exhaust) for my truck, so I installed each and kept tabs with my on-board MPG display. Here's what I found:

Flowmaster 50 Series dual exit system ($225) - Previous: 14.1 mpg, After: 14.9 mpg

K&N Oil-based Air Filter ($20) - Previous: 14.9 mpg After: 15.4 mpg

Doing the math, and based on my driving habits, the investment in both an exhaust system and a free-flowing filter will take 20 months to break even, and then begin to save me $12.50 each month thereafter. That's about a 10% savings each month, plus I get a mean exhaust sound, so I'm a happy man.

Notes: MPGs are City/Highway mix over a 4 week period each during standard commute times, Truck is a 5.7L Hemi Dodge Ram 1500 Fullsize, air-filter was added after the exhaust system.

No comments: