Monday, July 28, 2008

Conspicuous Consumption

I'll be the first to admit that my Dodge Ram truck doesn't get the best fuel economy - I am that guy with the $90+ gas bill that's left on the pump screen when you pull up in your car and think, "Wow, $93.51! It only costs me $72.13 to fill up my car....poor guy with a truck". I did love the reactions that $3.55 gas received while we were in Victoria - people were amazed, like finding manna on the ground, such is $3.55 gas.

Being in Texas (and America in general), I can get away with a big truck since it has been our lifestyle for 50 years. But, my international co-workers love to stick it to me. Pity the truck owner whose full-size behemoth is flanked by a Z3 and and 911 at the restaurant's valet. Not to mention when the exhaust starts up and all 5.7L rumble out onto the ground in cacophony of gas fumes and carbon footprint. I am just making up for the rest of you who have decided to slack off on your daily carbon deposits.

Doing some quick math, it only makes sense to buy a new fuel efficient car (i.e. Civic, Focus) if gas reaches $5.00 (which it will likely not as summer is winding down). The truck is paid off and gets 15 City / 18 highway. I did some recent mods to help out the fuel efficiency, and I have a couple more planned...

No comments: