Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Truck Rehab: Step 1

So while I wait for the new exhaust system to arrive, it's time to install new door speakers. I picked out Alpine Type-S full range speakers (6x9 and 6.5") that have pivoting tweeters. If you need some car speakers, these things are incredible, and right now they are half-off at Crutchfield.

Speaker installs are pretty straight forward - take off door, take out old speaker, put new speaker in, put door back on, and listen to your tunes. I didn't realize this until my first car stereo project, but car interiors are put together like Legos. Taking the door panels off on the Dodge takes 3 minutes tops.
Here's a pic of the old speakers:




Next the empty speaker hole, which this time around I lined with weatherstrip (the kind you use around your doors) to make sure that there were no rattles:

And lastly the new speakers installed, wires neatly tucked behind inside the door:



My tip - always double check the clearance between the back of the speaker and the window. This includes the wires. I once installed a set of speakers, put everything back together, then rolled down the window only to hear a hideous scrape as the window ripped the wires from the back of the speaker.

No comments: