Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Amazon Unbox vs. Netflix


I've been a long-time Netflix subscriber (3 years), but recently put my account on hold to try Amazon Unbox. The "Unbox", whose name remains an enigma (vocab word of the day, thank you junior-year English class) allows you to rent or purchase movies online and store them on your computer or have them sent directly to your Tivo (I use the Tivo method).

Unbox pros - many movie rentals are only 99 cents, and since I usually only have time for 1 movie each week, this beats Netflix's subscription price. Plus delivery time is nearly instant, since you can now stream the movies. You also keep rentals for 30 days, but once you start watching you have just 24 hours before the rental expires. I wonder how this would work if I rented a season of 24 - would I be able to finish? are ad breaks included? does Jack still never use the bathroom? would this cause a tear in the space-time continuum?

Unbox cons - no queues like Netflix yet, and so far the movies I have downloaded were all in Cinema-scope format (ultra-wide), but setup for standard def televisions (4:3), so you get a thin picture stretched across the screen.

Verdict - I'm sticking with UnBox in hopes that they will someday soon delivery movies in HD, and since they save me money each month, I'll put up with the stretched picture...

No comments: