Monday, November 5, 2007

$65 can save you $30,000


Had the evil check engine light come on in the Ram this week. Hoped for the best, dreaded the worst. It doesn't help that the check engine light is a menacing yellow outline of an engine, complete with detailed fan & carb as if a reminder of how many things can go wrong (apparently including a lighting bolt striking your manifold). Well, I decided it was time to buy a scanner (OBD II to be exact), and to my surprise Amazon had one for $65.

Here's my math - a $65 scanner keeps me from freaking out and buying a new car, which ends up saving me $30,000 over the 15 year life of most vehicles.

Tip - If you go to AutoZone or Advanced AutoParts they will check your code for you for FREE and give you a print out of the problem in about 15 minutes. Most dealers charge you $25-$50 for this service. Bam, I just saved you $50 AND 2 hours at the dealership.

Tip - In my Dodge, if you cycle the key from ACC to ignition 3 times while in neutral, the code flashes up on the dash. Do a google search on your car, it probably does the same thing. Bam, I just used the word bam.

No comments: