Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'll admit it....I went to CarMax

Even though I've slammed CarMax for their straight markups over blue-book prices, I've found them useful for something - pressure free test drives. Doing a quick online search (and CarMax's new website is perfect - it has the simplest search algorithm and refinement process - it just works) I found that the local CarMax had a number of GTO's that I could walk in and test drive, and here's the good part - then I could leave without being hassled.

So behind the wheel of the GTO for the first time, the interior is really simply, tight finish lines, feels sturdy. Many of the reviews praise the GTO for being "squeak-free" even after 50K miles. Other highs - lots of legroom, INCREDIBLE seats with heavy bolstering, and overall really comfortable in the front seats. Not so sure about the back seats, but at this point who cares.

Now the test drive began, and I have to say that in comparison to the F-Body cars (Camaro, Trans Am), the GTO got everything right except the outside styling. It has a more cab-forward feel, with a windshield that has a normal pitch instead of the F-Body's 2 degree windshield and three-mile long dash. The only drawback I found as I moved from 1st thru 5th was how long the shift throws were. It was a mile between gears, which left the 2-3 and 4-5 shifts in no man's land and gave a first time driver nervous twitches of "I hope this isn't reverse...oh well, here we go...."

In the end, great performer, very comfortable, but not a looker like it's namesake. I showed Susan two GTOs on the road the other night, and I felt underwhelmed as they passed by. Not sure if you want a muscle car that could be confused for a G5 coupe....

2 comments:

CarMaxChris said...

Hi, My name is Chris and I am the social media PR guy at the CarMax home office in Richmond, VA. I came across your blog post today and thought I'd reach out. I am glad you visited CarMax for a test drive. Perhaps we can convert you to a buyer next time?

Best regards,
CarMax Chris

Mr. Pereira said...

The old GTO's look great. The new ones look like fast Grand am's. Sorry man.