Monday, August 11, 2008

Car of Choice

Car of Choice

In line with a previous post on always being one-up'd in H-town, I have started to compile a list of "dream" cars that I would really enjoy. Please notice that I indeed dream small. No need to buy a DB9 when a cruise down Westheimer will yield a DBS...

I am really looking for something that is unique, with a V8 engine and manual transmission, and has some staying power. Here's the list:

2005-2006 GTO - 6.0L V8 / 2004 GTO - 5.7L V8 - $14k-$23k
Highs: Unique - only a 3 year production run; great handling, huge power numbers for the price (400HP)
Lows: G6 styling....it's a muscle car wrapped in Grand Am packaging

1998-2003 Camaro SS (F-Body) - 5.7L V8 - $10K-$19K
Highs: I had the Z28 variant of this car, and would love to reprise it with an late model SS; mods are cheap
Lows: New Camaro is on the horizon, and this generation was prone to transmission and differential problems (which I attribute to people ragging them out...)

2005+ Mustang GT - 4.6L V8 - $14k-$19k
Highs: Reliable, plentiful mods allow you to create a custom ride, plus a 2010 redesign is due out soon, and will push the value of the 2005 models lower, plus plus I could challenge my father to a race...
Lows: the Shelby GT500 is to GT as an orca whale is to a seal (thank you SAT prep), dash hits my knee, less horsepower than the above cars, but how much do you really need? I feel like less of a man for asking that question

2002 Corvette Z06 / 2003-2005 Corvette Z06 - $20k-$29k
Highs: Track ready car for a bargain price - my European counterparts couldn't get a car like this for under $75K...wait for it....EUROS!
Lows: I would be "that guy with the corvette", I would need to wear a windbreaker or leather jacket, possibly a mustache

The New Breed....

2009 R/T Challenger - 5.7L Hemi V8 - $29K-$33K
Highs: Head turning design, and I could put two Hemi's in my garage
Lows: constantly telling people "no, I bought a CHALLENGER not a Charger....it has two doors, I promise", knowing that an SRT model might find me and make me feel insignificant

2010 Camaro SS -$30K?
Still a glimmer in Chevrolet's eye, although the V6 has already been out and about for press runs. I'm afraid Transformers may have ruined it for me...

No comments: