Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Fall Baby Fall

If anything has been reaffirmed for me during the stock market plunge the last two weeks, it's that if you need the money soon, don't invest it in stocks. I've been a little loose with this rule buying up Apple and Google with some extra cash, and it costs me. I got out of Google at $400, taking a 16% loss - Google is not around $350. I waited too long on Apple, and now I must wait for a rebound - my current loss is 36%. So, here are the rules I should have played by, and it would have made for a much calmer week:

1) If you need the cash in the next 12 months, invest in a money market account
2) If you need the cash in next 12-24 months, invest in CDs or bonds/t-bills
3) For a term longer than 2 yrs, consider a mix of the above plus lower risk mutual funds
4) For retirement use your IRA/401K account and get risky- in my case, I don't need the money for 40 years - and that is a long time in market standards. Knowing that your funds have 4 decades to mature can give you some peace of mind. Plus if you get nervous and want to pull the money back into your checking/savings you'll be rebuffed by the tax penalty. PS. I've lost 30% of my retirement fund this year - I can't imagine the pressure on the millions of people who were planning to retire soon or already retired...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a follow up to this post, as an alternative to a money market account (mine is currently yielding 1.6%), ING Direct has a product called Orange Savings Account. It links to your current checking or savings account and allows you to move money back and forth between the 2 accounts. While your money is in the Orange account, it will make a much higher percentage interest than money market or regular savings accounts. Currently it is 2.75%. Check it out if you get a chance. I will be implementing this shortly.

http://home.ingdirect.com/products/products.asp?s=OrangeSavingsAccount